The design and manufacture of the modern electric trolling motors that are available in the market place today using the latest electronic technology and quality materials have made these motors very reliable, tough and affordable.
There are many to choose from but as with most products some are better than others. On average when reading customer reviews, approximately five out of ten buyers will give the same item a four to five star rating (giving me confidence), then another two or three buyers will give three to two stars (these guys seem to have legit reasons to gripe, so not yet a train smash), but then there are at least one or two people who absolutely trash it( diminishing my faith in the product ).
However when reading between the lines it makes me wonder if these trashers have actually bought or even seen the item but perhaps they have their own agenda where they are promoting something similar.
From experience and what I have learned from speaking to pro fishermen and others boaters who use these motors which are constructed to withstand great abuse, you can be confident they will give you trouble free boating pleasure for many years. I had a salt water trolling motor which was stored in a leaky old shed in my garden for many years without any attention yet every time I used it, it would respond without hassle, just like my faithful dog, a Jack Russel named Salty, who absolutely loved to go fishing.
Here Are 5 Positive Reasons to Get Involved With Trolling Motors
1) Because they are very quiet, easy to use and environment friendly, they create minimum disturbance to other boaters, the local fauna and flora and those people who are lucky to live on the banks of the waterways.
2) They are light and easy to install or remove.Transom mount motors are available for smaller boats and kayaks, and if you want absolute maneuverability or have a larger boat a bow mount motor is required.
3) They are available with different thrust levels, battery power and shaft lengths catering for all the different boats and environment situations that may be encountered.
4) Fantastic to use on your craft for stealth fishing, they quietly get you into those fishing hot spots normally impossible to reach without scaring the living daylights out of the fish you are trying to catch. Whether it is shallow water, deepwater or very weedy spots you are fishing in, these motors will not let you down.
5) To control your boat can choose either to hand steer, foot steer or by electronic self directional steer i.e. co pilot, auto pilot or GPS iPilot. These features will take care of your boat so to allow you to seriously concentrate on your fishing. The latest iPilot with GPS takes fishing with trolling motors to whole new exciting the level.
Some Negative Reasons
1) The biggest negative is the fact that unless you are set up so that you can charge your batteries in your boat, is having to remove them for recharging and for security reasons if your boat is left on a mooring or chained to a tree. To load them into the car after every trip, especially if there are two or three of them, can be a bit of a pain. If you are using a single 12 volt battery then it’s a no brainer.
2) If you are looking for enough power to tow the kids at speed behind the boat on a tube or ski, then forget about getting one because you will go nowhere.
3) If you want higher thrust motors you will be carrying the extra weight of two or three heavy marine batteries. Make sure you have the space for them and if your boat is small the weight won’t affect its performance.
4) Good batteries are expensive but if looked after should last four to five years. Since you are not spending money on gas this cost is kind of negated.
It is important to use a manufacturers recommended circuit breaker fitted in line with your trolling motor wiring to the battery. Do not skimp on getting some cheap inferior make.
I have no doubt that once you have had your first experience using one of these motors, then just like the fish you are hunting you to will be hooked.